The churches of the North Westmorland group are committed to Safeguarding all people and ensuring that we are a community that stands up to abuse in all its forms. We have particularly policies, procedures and actions which protect children, young people and adults who may be vulnerable.
All people are precious in the sight of God. We have a responsibility to care for one another and to keep people safe from harm. This is a principle that is recognised both from the viewpoint of faith and also in the context of law.
The churches of the North Westmorland Group regard safeguarding and good working practice as a priority and in the interests of the safety and well-being of all children, young people and vulnerable adults, they have adopted the Parish Safeguarding Policies developed by the Diocese of Carlisle and the Statement on Safeguarding by the House of Bishops, “Promoting a Safer Church”.
These policies may be viewed at each church in the Group or by clicking on the links below (they link to PDFs):
The churches are committed to ensuring that all those working with children, young people or vulnerable adults:
- have undergone checks by the Disclosure and Barring Service
- have been safely recruited as appropriate
- are adequately trained and supervised
- understand and follow the Diocesan Safeguarding Policy
As part of the commitment to Safeguarding the churches have appointed Judith Cotter as Safeguarding Co-ordinator (see contact details below). Each parish has also appointed a Safeguarding Representative as follows:
All Saints Bolton Judith Cotter Link Link St Cuthberts Cliburn Alice Underwood Link Link St Lawrence Crosby Ravensworth Eileen Risk Link Link St Barnabas Great Strickland Link Link St Lawrence Morland Mike Robson Link Link St Mary Thrimby Christine Jones Link Link
The North Westmorland churches recognise that safeguarding is everyone’s responsibility and endeavour to commit themselves to
- nurturing, protecting and safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults
- supporting parents and families
- exercising care in the appointment of those working with children, young people and vulnerable adults working by the principles of Safer Recruitment
- following statutory, denominational and specialist guidelines in working with children, young people and vulnerable adults
- seeking support for all those affected by abuse
- supporting and resourcing those who work with children and young people and provide regular supervision
- reviewing the Safeguarding Policies annually and amend as appropriate.
IF YOU HAVE ANY CONCERNS FOR A CHILD, YOUNG PERSON OR VULNERABLE ADULT, PLEASE CONTACT THE SAFEGUARDING CO-ORDINATOR OR THE PRIEST IN CHARGE
Safeguarding Co-ordinator: Judith Cotter 07858960472 email@example.com
NSPCC 0800 800500
Childline 0800 1111
Adult and Children’s Services in Cumbria
Cumbria Social Services
Carlisle: 01228 227000 (adult services)
( children services)
Kendal: 01539 713377
Penrith: 01768 812242
In the case of an emergency:
for children contact the 24hr number: 0333 240 1727 firstname.lastname@example.org
for adults contact 01228 526690
Parentline plus – 0808 800 2222